[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] several miscelaneous questions - a clarification

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 06:47:22 PDT 2008

Dear Helen,
  Where did your parents live before the war? How do they have a book with Hitler's name if they got married in 1947? Could Germany have used books from before the war for this purpose while recovering from the war?

  I know of several couples who got married in this same time but I never heard of such a Stammbuch. I'll ask one them specifically if she had one prepared.

  My grandmother and cousin ended up very close to your parents after the war.
  Karl

Helen Gillespie <hgillespie at rogers.com> wrote:
  Hi All,

My parents were married in Burgstemmen, Kr. Alfeld, in
northern Germany after the war (1947). They have a
Stammbuch in which their marriage particulars and the
births of their first two children are registered and
baptized. Adolf Hitler's name is blacked out in one
part - under a quotation about clean bloodlines - so I
know this book is not post war!

The booklet (hardcover with 76 pages) is titled
Familien Stammbuch u. Ahnenpass and the title page
identifies it as the "Stammbuch u. Ahnenpass der
Familie Kukasch-Betke" (my parents surnames). There
are pages for 8 births and baptisms. It also includes
a page for two photos of the passport holders (the
couple), a page for citing citizenship and pages for
the deaths of the couple and any others in the family.
I assume that this document would have been a
permanent record because the marriage is certified and
stamped by the minister, as is the births and deaths
of my brother and sister.

The second section actually has a pedigree chart and
the next 30+ pages has small forms for completing
one's Stammbaum. They require the name of the
minister or notary so it would be a legal document.
There are even two pages of suggested boys and girls
names plus a page to cite "memorable events". None of
this was completed in my parents book, although many
years ago, I entered some data. I am kind of sorry
that there wasn't more information. I wish I knew
what happened to my grandparents' books.

I expect that the Standesamt and/or the church had
these booklets and used them after the War as there
wasn't much else available, I'm sure.

Helen

Searching: Kukasch, Bethke, Baier, Kelm, Koenig,
Belter, Pufahl
Locale: Berestovets, Boruwka, Solomka
(Friedrichsdorf), Pempkov, Turek, Konin, Tomaschev,
Benton Harbor and Watervliet, MI