[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] S. JACOBSON, photographer in Prussia

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Thu Nov 27 04:28:41 PST 2008

John Bettger schrieb:
> I have a photo of my G.G.G. Uncle Ludwig Bettger taken about 1860. On the photo it states S.Jacobson aus Pruessen. Are there any records of the photographer? Where in Prussia he was from?

Hello John,
I looked for Berlin and Breslau - in Berlin lots of JACOBSON but no
photographer, in Breslau just one JACOBSON in 1868. But JACOBSON
families lived in many other Prussian cities.
Samuel JACOBSON was an American collector of rare Japanese photographs
but I think no photographer himself. JACOBSON is a common Jewish name.
Maybe you find your photographer through www.jewishgen.org . The given
name could be Salomon, Samuel or Saul but also a Christian one (Heinrich
Friedrich JACOBSON was of Jewish origin but became a professor of
Lutheran ecclesastical law in Königsberg, East Prussia).

Is there really no city given on the photogaph? - cut away or illegible?
Can you send me a scan or digital photograph?

Günther