[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Figuring Relationships

Leo Sonnenberg sonnal at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 1 19:15:07 PDT 2008

I recently received a list of ancestors on my father's side back to 1790
from a cousin in Germany. I was surprised to see that my grandfather on
my mother's side was also on the list.
My mother is a great granddaughter to the common ancestor and my father
is a great great grandson to the common ancestor. I am both a great
great grandson through my mother and a great great  great grandson
through my father.

My questions are -  A. what cousins are my parents to each other and B.
what am I to my distant grandfather?  How would I classify myself - a
two great grandson or a three great grandson? So who am I?

Also, does this situation occur very often?

Any definition of my relationship to my distant grandfather is welcome
(including any jokes).

Leo Sonnenberg