[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Figuring Relationships

Leo Sonnenberg sonnal at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 2 20:24:26 PDT 2008

Thank you one and all for your responses to my query re family
relationships. Genealogical relationships have been a mystery to me so
the information is interesting and illuminating. However, as I was
reading your comments I was reminded of a pop song recorded by Guy
Lombardo in 1948, written by Dwight Latham and Moe Jaffe entitled "I'm
My Own Grandpa". The song is based on the following:
A Proof that a Man can be His Own Grandfather.---There was a widow and
her daughter-in-law, a man and her daughter-in-law, and man and his son.
The widow married the son, and the daughter the old gentleman. The widow
was therefore mother to her husband's father, and consequently
grandmother to her own husband. They had a son, to which she was a
great-grandmother: now, as the son of a great-grandmother must be either
a grandfather or great-uncle, this boy was one or the other. He was his
own grandfather! This was the case with a boy at school at
Norwich.---Hood's Magazine.

You can Google the title and find several links that will play the song.

Leo Sonnenberg