[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Re surname Radisch

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Sun Oct 5 14:16:13 PDT 2008

Hi - According to Bahlow's Dictionary of German Names, consider this:

Radighk.  Radicke is East German-Slavic short form of Radoslaw (Ratzlaff)
like Budig for Budislaw.  Likewise Ranusch, Rädisch [Raedisch], Rädsch [Raedsch]
(Lithuanian Radischat).  Also see place name Rädisch in Bohemia, Moravia
(older:  Gradisch Hradisch), hence Hensel Redischer, Brünn 1343.

As with most of our names, there is no single "correct" spelling, since there
were no "rules" (once in the 18th century, I believe, which didn't work) and
again late in the 19th century, early 20th which finally began to take hold
(but by no means for everyone) around 1910-1920.   Listen to the sounds, rather
than the spellings and follow the evolutions.

Maureen Schoenky