[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Michael Elgert

bonnie harwood bonnieharwood at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 6 09:12:05 PDT 2008

I would like some advice, if possible, on how I could locate information on my gr.grandfather, Michael Elgert. I do not know where he was born, but have been given the birth date of Dec. 25, 1840; personally, I think he was born in Germany, but have no proof of this. He apparently died in 1919 in Kiev. The information that has been passed down to me is that Michael supervised installation of machinery in mills; that he had made several (?) trips to the United States, and on one occasion, had taken back the first steel plow to Russia. Also, he was a lay-minister. He married 4 times: #1 wife was Rosina David, ( I have no marriage date or place of marriage. ), but her death date was 1867....he had 3 children with her; #2 wife was Amalie Schmidt or Schmidtke, marriage date was Sept 20, 1867 at Zhitomer Parish....1 known child with her; #3 wife was Amalie Wolter, marriage date Nov. 6, 1869 also Zhitomer Parish....7 known children with her....she died Apr 1, 1882 at Parish Warwarowka; #4 wife was Pauline Sprenger, marriage date Jun 30, 1882 at Zhitomer Parish....3 known children. I don't know her death date but she was definetly gone by 1919; Michael refused to leave Russia when members of his family were leaving for Canada, Germany and parts unknown, and so died alone and a pauper in Kiev in 1919. I would like to verify, if possible, the story about what his work was and also more about the women he married and their families. I know information will be sparse and hard to come by, so am not expecting any miracles...but one never knows!!! Thanks........Bonnie MacPherson