[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Michael Elgert

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 6 14:53:23 PDT 2008

Bonnie,

There really is not much to recommend when one is stuck at a certain generation without a location to search.  Since Elgert is not a particularly common name, it might  be worthwhile to explore some regions where the name occurs.  In looking at both the Master Pedigree Database and the Parish Records Index, you will see that about the only other pre1860 location we have for that surname is the Lipno / Sierpc district.  You may want to check that.  You could also try pursuing the David origins.  The PRI does not show them in Lipno but they are at Torun which is not very far away.

I assume that you found, in the St. Pete records, the alternate spelling or mistranscribed variant of Eljert.

Note also that place names like Warwarowka are not parish names.  They are village names within a parish which, depending on time frame and that region, could be Zhitomir or Heimtal.

Jerry