[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Legacy Genealogy program

Rose Ingram roseingram at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 6 15:50:00 PDT 2008

I have 4 genealogy programs on my computer.  Legacy, PAF from the LDS site, Roots Magic and FTM ver.16.   I keep them because sometimes I get data sent to me from other relatives that are not in gedcom format but a backup copy of their file.

All programs do the job, but one should follow the instructions in each.

I have found that FTM has one irritating issue that gets overlooked by many users - the whole name is typed in one line.
If there is no surname entered for a woman and no double backslash \\ added after her given name, (eg. Anna Elisabeth\\) a gedcom of this data imported into another program will result in Elisabeth showing up as the Surname.  So keep an eye on this.

Rose Ingram

  From: marlo

  I also switched to Legacy only because Family Origin didn't publish anymore
  and
  then Roots Magic was suppose to be the
  same.  Wrong!!!  So after reading about
  Legacy I decided to try it and I love it.  I
  would recommend to anyone.  I use the
  deluxe version only because there are a
  few little things better than the free one.
  Margaret

  From: "Rose Ingram"