[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Need help deciphering last name from death cert -- HEPPNES? (possibly Lodz area)

Carla Streifel carlastreifel at yahoo.ca
Tue Oct 7 10:10:11 PDT 2008

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and I'm hoping someone on this list might be able to help me.

I am tracing my Sonnenberg and Schultz family lines (they immigrated to Manitoba, Canada, from Lodz, Poland) and I am off to the genealogical collection at our local library to look up a few more records. However, I am having trouble deciphering a German name on the death certificate of my great-grandmother (her mother's last name), and I was wondering if people familiar with Lodz area families might be able to suggest possible names.

My great-grandmother was Emma Schultz (born in Poland, possibly in the Lodz area, but I'm not sure, on Nov. 15, 1886). On her 1934 Canadian death certificate (she died in Vernon, BC, Canada), her father was listed as August Schultz, and her mother was listed as Justine Hepp---. This last name is the one I can't identify -- it could be Heppnes, but I'm not sure as I can't read the handwriting with any confidence.

Is anyone familiar with this name from the Lodz area? Or any suggestions on what it might be? I can email a copy of the death cert if that would help anyone.

Please note that I may be making a mistake by assuming she was originally from Lodz, but her husband Karl Sonnenberg was born there, so I thought I would start there in any case.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Carla Streifel
BC, Canada