[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] genealogy software

Sue Eipert seipert at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 17:47:10 PDT 2008

Gary,

I realize that Legacy is a very good program, and I haven't had enough
experience with it to do a direct comparison of the two.

I really just want to make the point that Rootsmagic is also a very good
full-featured program - and will be even better with version 4 (soon).
Some people have found it  easier to use than Legacy.

To answer your specific questions:

1. Rootsmagic has an extensive Merge function. I haven't used it enough
to know the details.

2. Rootsmagic has a master list for Places. Each place can have a name,
a note field, latitude and longitude, and attached links to multimedia.
The new edition coming up has enhanced abilities for handling names and
alternate names.

3. Yes.  Rootsmagic has a "Problem List". You can search for several
things, including:  Proper order of events, Birth before parent's
marriage, Birth before parent's  birth, etc. Also - Age at death,
marriage, etc, between your choice of ages

4. Names are entered in separate fields for Surname, Given Name, Prefix,
Suffix, Nickname.

5. Facts and events have separate fields for Date, Place, Description.
Each fact or event also has attached sources, notes and multimedia.

Sue