[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Need help deciphering last name from death cert -- ...

Gloria Hoppe gloriah4 at juno.com
Wed Oct 8 05:01:16 PDT 2008

Maureen and Carla,

IF the first name on your list (below) were to have the second letter as
an "O" instead of an "E" it would make the name "Hoppe" which is my
husband's family name. We don't know of any of his family coming from the
Lodz area but then we don't know for sure that they didn't either. His
parents immigrated from Neudorf Volhynia in 1926. His uncle(s) went on to
settle in various parts of Canada (although mostly Alberta I THINK). We
do have reason to think that some great grandparents were from Poland,
but then that surname was Sawatzki.  Since the Hoppe's and the Sawatzki's
obviously hooked up SOMEwhere, it could have been in Poland or in most
anywhere else in the region.

Anyway, I realize that the odds are pretty low of your great-great
grandmother's name being Hoppe (probably not likely at all).  But, just
in case there is a slim possibility that it is indeed the name on the
certificate, I thought I'd throw it into the mix.

Whatever it turns out to be, good hunting!

Gloria Hoppe