[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Musziks

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Tue Oct 21 11:32:13 PDT 2008

My father also used to refer to "dem muzhiks" with a kind of sneer in his
voice that implied their inferiority.  The condescension was only in the
mind of the muzhiks' German neighbors.  The term itself was commonly used by
educated Russians to refer to Russian peasants throughout the nineteenth
century, both before and after the freeing of the serfs.  It was used even
by writers who admired the peasant way of life.  For instance, A. N.
Engelgardt, a landowner who got along well with the peasants surrounding his
estate, told the Populists (a group of would-be reformers who also admired
the peasants and hoped to improve their lot as well as to learn from them
the virtues of the communal village way of  life), "For practical study, the
best book is the muzhik.  Study with him, look at what he does, how he does
it, try to learn what the muzhik knows. .... for  he knows an awful lot."
No one thought more highly of the peasants than Dostoyevsky, and he also
referred to them as muzhiks.  Cathy Frierson,  author of "Peasant Icons:
Representations of Rural People in 19th-century Russia," says that the term
was used only for Russian peasants.  Western peasants were referred to as
"paysan."

Where does this idea that a muzhik is a "communist Lout" come from?

Dick