[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kwiatkowski - Bluemke

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 08:55:06 PDT 2008

Hello again, Otto - I should have included the fact that my brothers and I
were forbidden to learn a word of German (though we learned what Verboten!
meant).  There remains a very strong stigma from WW I and WW II for anyone and
anything German in America, especially from people of Jewish heritage.  I have
even been accused of having something to do with Hitler's holocaust, simply
because of the name Schoenky!   Never mind that I was far too young, never in
Europe (until 1999) and am as horrified as anyone else over that insane genocide!
I have learned some German, word by word, though by no means conversational,
as a necessity in order to understand my own genealogical heritage and help
others to do the same.

If anyone knows about a dictionary in Polish or Russian similar to the German
one (German-English Genealogical Dictionary by Ernest Thode) I would love to
know about it.  I use Thode's book (in addition to numerous other dictionaries
and texts) on a daily basis.

All that aside, German foods and beers and Octoberfests and many, many
Germanic  customs are immensely popular here, and increasing - i.e., profit-making.
 Adolphus and Gussie Busch in St. Louis did rather well!  And so did
Griesedieck and Schlitz and Lempe and Pabst and many, many others, at least until
Busch took over - and now they are no longer the top beer barons either.

The best thing I see about all these message boards is bringing people of
differing heritages together with the common denominator of genealogy; when you
get right down to it, we are all family, after all.

Maureen Schoenky