[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Understanding Names

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 16:23:21 PDT 2008

To all of you, thank you for your name-stories and Otto, for your in-depth
historical analysis!

It would have been nice, all things considered, if, like some of you, my name
had been translated on arrival in Baltimore - then I would not have had to
listen to all the sneezes - I would be Maureen Beautiful - but Maureen Handsome
would be okay too..................... and I hope all those ignoramuses who
take potshots at our Germanic names would go look in the mirror and judge
themselves - though they wouldn't likely understand why.

We in America tend to lump all things German together as one, but the Germans
separate themselves into the Badenisch from the Bavarisch and the Austrian
and all the others and the dress and the customs and the language and the food
too.  And now my curiousity is aroused once again to more culture, more names
and more recipes, the Polish and the Prussian (besides the Königsberger Klops).
 Of course, other countries sometimes lump everything American together too,
but we have dozens of incomprehensible dialects and all the rest too - The
Bronx, Cajun country, Montana/Idaho/Wyoming cowboy country, and most difficult of
all (to me) is TEAXUS - 3 syllables.  Not meant to stir up any hornet's nest,
please, Texans.   Each place has its slang, its patois, its shorthand, and
each person some individual version of those - which often do not translate to
any other place.

This is just a genealogical message board, and now we can get back to the
business at hand, hunting ancestors, wherever they lead us.

Maureen