[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Schindel/Schendel - Ljuschitza-Radom

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 15:43:43 PDT 2008

Nadine,
This document would have been written in Cyrillic meaning we had to do a phonetic conversion to how the town might be spelled in Polish. We are also  a bit at the mercy of Dick Benert's skills in reading Cyrillic and is he reading the letters correctly to give the correct phonetics. On top of that we are also at the mercy of whoever wrote these place names in the newspaper since they probably gave it their best shot how the town would be spelled in Russian. So as you see there are a number of variables that can affect the accuracy and finding the correct town.

I did some searching on my own and as you might guess I did not find any hits to my liking.

On Shtetl seeker I find a Łuczyce but is in Polish Volhynia. There happens to be another town called Radymo nearby but I would not expect that to be used as a larger city for reference.

Just a bit west of Radom I can see Lezenice and Lucynow. The former is a better  fit but still not great. If we can't trust the Russian or its interpretation Lezenice might be close enough if the n was misinterpreted but it is hard to misinterpret the Le as Lju. In Russian the letters producing those sounds are very different.
Karl