[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Schindel/Schendel - Ljuschitza-Radom

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Sat Sep 6 11:53:41 PDT 2008

Just to erase any doubts, the name "Ljuschitza" was printed in good old
German gothic type in the newspaper.  Here's the text of the Nov. 19, 1915,
edition:

"Gesucht werden (these people are being sought): Elisabeth Wagner geb.
Pelzer aus Ljuschitza, Christian Wagner mit Frau und Kindern aus Nikolajews,
Johannes Hessler mit Frau und Kindern aus Nikolajews, Philipp Müller mit
Frau und Kindern aus Ljuschitza, Johannes Schindel mit Frau und Kindern aus
Ljuschitza, Johann Eisenberger mit Frau und Kindern aus Nikolajews.   Alle
diese sind Flüchtlinge aus dem Gouvernment Radom."

Interestingly, the same people appeared in another notice on Dec. 17.  This
one began with: "Folgende Flüchtlinge suchen ihre Angehörigen:" (the
following refugees seek their relatives [literally, "people belonging to
them"]).  Apparently either these people all showed up in the meantime but
without some of their relatives, or else the Nov. 19 notice was in error due
to some miscommunication or misunderstanding, and these people had been
there the whole time.  I'd guess the latter possibility is more likely:  all
these people did show up together in November in Popowkina (Jost) in Samara
province, but all had lost family members along the way.  The second notice
was sent in by an Alexander Reis who had probably spotted the error
committed by his relative, G.B Reis, who sent in the first one, and probably
scolded him for being so careless.  (I'm guessing, of course).

In any case, the second notice mentions that both villages (Ljuschitza and
Nikolajews) were in the district of Sandomir in Radom.  I hope this helps
nail it down.  And I've got to make a few changes in the List posted on the
website.

Dick