[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Plagues? Foreign armies?

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sun Sep 14 21:06:43 PDT 2008

Good evening/morning Rose-Marie

You use the term 'plague' rather loosely, as a catch-all term for a
variety of medical maladies. Poland was for the most part spared from
Plague, which refers to the Bubonic Plague or Black Death
specifically. (some may counter the bacterium culprit) The bacterium
is 'Yersinia pestis'. The Black Death killed an estimated one hundred
million people in 1400.

The term you want to use is 'pandemic', which refers to a group of
nasty medical maladies such as influenza, typhus, cholera, famine,
smallpox and so on.

The seaport of Danzig and also Königberg of East Prussia experienced a
plague epidemic 1709-1710 to an extent a third of the population died.
That was it except for Russia in 1738-1739.

The area you have under consideration was in 'Russian Poland', and
1825-1863 was a time of turmoil for specific areas due to the Poles
attempting to overthrow Russian oppression.

Wherever there is a presence of soldiers the danger of typhus and
cholera surfaces. Contamination of water and sanitation.  I would opt
for cholera being the cause of death seeing a pandemic was on the roll
during that time period . It was brought by the soldiers. it could
have up to a 40% + mortality rate. The bacterium 'Vibrio cholerae'.

We are the survivors of those pandemics. . . millions did not make it.

Armies on the march brought morbid diseases with them but did what
they could to repopulate the areas they marched through.   Enough said.

On Sep 14, 2008, at 9:54 PM, F&RM Haddad wrote:

> I'm learning the importance of knowing some of the history of the
> areas we
> research. And since I don't know this particular relevant history, I'm
> hoping someone else does.
>
> 1) were there plagues in the - say - Gostynin, Warszawa, Poland area
> around
> 1825-1850? There seem to be a lot of deaths at that time among the
> people I
> am researching. I know that in the early 1900's there was a plague
> in the
> Kremianke area in Volhynia, for my grandfather and several of his
> siblings
> died of it. I was told it was "Typhus" - the black plague revisited?
> Speaking of which, the black plague was still decimating communities
> in
> Wuerttemberg, Germany around 1635. Is there somewhere we can find
> out what
> plagues were affecting what areas when?
>
> 2) And were there "maurading armies" going through the area from
> about 1800?
> Reason I ask is that I've come across several births where the
> father is
> unknown, and all around the same time period. One must consider the
> possibility of rape by foreign armies on their way through. Other
> possibilities exist, of course. But it seems to be a high proportion
> relative to time periods before and after.
>
> Rose-Marie

. . .   Otto
         " The Zen moment..." wk. of March 23, 2008-