[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Hundt's of Elizabetpol; Knull's

Sig Matt sigmatt at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 21 19:10:00 PDT 2008

Karl, Renee,

It is my conclusion that the assumption, that "those on the wagon trail should be in the EWZ records", needs a bit more redefining.

In my group of some 30 individual EWZ records with the "Matt" family name, on the bottom of the first page of eight EWZ application forms
it states: Durchgeschleust am:  date (meaning passed through)
             durch Kom. Nr: XXVII  Sonderzug
            Sonderzug means special train, or is there another definition for that entry ?
One of the application forms includes a handwritten report of their family's journey from their point of origin in Volhynia to their destination at the EWZ camp. In short it states that they traveled by horse wagon for 12 days, then after some delay they were put on a train that took them to their destination, the EWZ camp.

Another part of the Resettlement or Refugee issue is the fact that, at the time of the Red Army advance into Germany late 1944-45, the majority of the population of the East and West Prussian area, including other refugees from further East and South, streamed westward in midwinter mostly by horse and wagon, some on foot. This Group was not recorded by any EWZ organization.
Regarding casualties on the wagon trail.
In the case of our relatives of our own family group all 3 of the surviving groups report attacks, mostly by Russian Aircraft. Most fatalities were caused
by direct hits combined with the inhumane mid winter travel conditions.
Our own family trek took us by horse and wagon from East Prussia, across the ice of the Frische Haff (a frozen 8 ml wide Inland Lagoon) where on a clear frosty day with good visibility and no military unit within miles of us, the 3 Refugee columns were suddenly attacked by 2 low level Aircraft that came blazing at us with tracer bullets. They circled several times, firing at each pass. Man and beast were struck with uncontrollable fear. Some of the teams of horses broke rank from the column and stampeded off in a wild gallop. Luckily we saw no casualties there, but later in the day we came across several destroyed wagons from previous attacks. Some were partially submerged with horses still attached frozen in place.

My assessment is that when the above variations are in included in the formula the original "assumption" takes on a different meaning.

Question?
Could anyone elaborate on the definition of "EWZ52" ? What does the "52" define specifically ?
Thanks to all.

Sig Matt
sigmatt at sbcglobal.net