[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kugalis Recipe

Sandie marana at tds.net
Mon Sep 29 19:48:28 PDT 2008

Kugalis

1 pound bacon, diced
2 diced large onions
1/2 cup butter
5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
1 12 fluid ounce can evaporated milk
6 eggs

Directions:

   1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
   2. Place bacon in a Dutch oven set over medium heat, cover, and cook
      until the bacon has softened and begun to release it's grease.
      Stir in the onion and cook until softened and translucent. Remove
      the cover, and continue cooking and stirring until the mixture
      caramelizes and turns a deep, golden brown. Remove from heat and
      stir in butter to melt.
   3. Stir shredded potatoes into the onion mixture, then stir in the
      evaporated milk and eggs until well combined. Pour into a
      9x13-inch glass baking dish.
   4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until golden on top. Remove
      and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing into 3x3-inch squares.
      Serve hot.

She always said it tasted better the next day with yet even more cream
poured over the top.

Regarding the dumplings. As I thought about that potato dumpling that
she made I remembered that she first boiled a pork butt, shredded it up
and added it to the potato mixture. Dropped it into the broth from the
pork butt to cook it.