[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Plat-Deutsch Potato meal

alfred kroll akroll at sc.rr.com
Tue Sep 30 06:01:50 PDT 2008

I believe the phonetic pronunciation for the potato dumpling is "shaka
klitzka". I'm sure it is actually spelled differently. My mother, who
came from Wiezendorf, Poland use to make it and my wife who comes from
Somsiory, Poland said her mother made it too.

Raw potatoes are grated and drained of the water. Eggs, flour, and
salt are added. The consistency should be so that you can drop a
spoonful into boiling water for about five minutes. Pour the dumplings
into a colander and drain. You can use them in a milk soup, with
chicken broth or fry with bacon and onions cut up fine.
A real stick to your ribs meal!

Al Kroll