[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kraempfen infant deaths

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Fri Apr 10 06:01:54 PDT 2009

Rose-Marie,

After reading the German article in Günther's link in yesterday's post
and skimming medical links intelligible to the average person, I've come
to the following conclusions about "Kraempfen/cramps" as a cause of
death among newborns: A newborn baby's deficiency of calcium and vitamin
D caused a combination of symptoms which included continuous crying,
trembling, and convulsions which ultimately led to death. The deficiency
can be caused by a lack of calcium and vitamin D in the mother's diet or
by underlying maternal illnesses such as diabetes which contribute to
the deficiency. The modern treatment consists of intravenous calcium & D
supplements (obviously unavailable to our ancestors). A regular diet of
dairy products for calcium and time spent in the sunshine for vitamin D
can prevent this if the mother is otherwise in good health. However, her
body needs to absorb enough calcium to have it ready to pass on to her
developing baby, and that supply cannot be available if the mother is
pregnant annually. At least a two-year interval between pregnancies is
crucial for her optimal health and that of her baby. Two or three
children in succession is not a problem. However, many of the families
of our ancestors saw the annual birth of a child and families with more
than ten children. I've been indexing records from the Lublin area and
can state quite truly that the infant mortality rate is astonishing and
that many mothers bore a child nearly every year, certainly every two
years, almost without fail. I even noticed one family who lost four
newborn infants in less than six years. Yet very few death records
actually list a cause of death and symptoms of too many illnesses were
similar, so I don't think any general analysis can be made except to say
this was a contributing factor in some of them.

Regards,
Sigrid Pohl Perry

Sigrid Pohl Perry