[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Cholera

Jennifer K. Walker jkwalker1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 12 00:21:04 PDT 2009

I too have been researching Cholera/Dysentery, as well as how it relates to
infant mortality rates over the past couple hundred years.  Of course, young
children have less immunity and thus less opportunity to fight the bacteria
which caused the diarrhea.  In those times it was common practice to help
purge the body when ill, so mothers often help their young by giving them
prunes, etc. to help the diarrhea run its course, which in turn caused the
body to further lose fluids at a very high rate, often bringing death much
faster.

My own paternal grandfather, born in 1902 Arkansas, was the youngest of at
least eleven children, of which at least eight died within the first three
years of life due to "Dysentery."  Their mother treated them all with prunes
and folk medicines such as castor oil, etc. which left the body further
dehydrated. I find it very difficult to understand how mothers could
continue this practice in particular after seeing one child after another
suffer the same consequences with no change in the fight for life.  It seems
that it was accepted in those days that children would not necessarily live
so to have many would perhaps produce a few who would live into adulthood
and there was no good to come from dwelling on those that were lost.  My,
how far we have come that we expect all of our children to live today!  We
often think of our hard-working, German ancestors as stern and sturdy, but
to think of the losses that they had to overcome...imagine the joy they
would have now to know that in such a short time we can insure that each
generation has such healthy beginnings!

Happy Easter everyone!  He is Risen!

JennifeR Walker
San Antonio, TX
Researching:  Schlender, Zindler, Steinke, Naderschanske, Kraft, Heinemann,
Krueger, Klemke, Schmit, Schultz
Message: 3