[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] thanks and another question - re: food

Ron Neuman ron at neuman.ca
Sun Apr 12 19:44:50 PDT 2009

I just got home from an Easter Weekend of visiting, so I am getting
into the "foosher" discussion a bit late.

For many years my sister, Irene (Neuman) Hinchberger has made a pot
of "foosher" or "fuscher" for lunch at our annual gritzwurst making
day.  A year ago I finally convinced Irene to write down the
recipe.  She immediately said that there was no recipe - it was all
in her head.  The recipe was in her head, and had been firmly
implanted there by our mother, Elsie (Henkelmann) Neuman.  Foosher
was evidently made in Vohynia by our mother's parents/grandparents,
and remained a favorite after the families moved to Alberta in the
late 1890's.

There is no cream in this version, and no boiling of dumplings.  The
version that Irene makes is exactly as I remember what our mother
made, so I think it is fairly authentic.  As usual with ethnic folk
recipes, you need to use your imagination a bit, and likely do some
experimenting.

Foosher (Fuscher)

- fry bacon - 1/2 pound bacon (drain the bacon and save the bacon
fat.  Break the bacon into pieces the size of a quarter)
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in pieces.  Boil until well done.
- Leave about 1 inch of cooking water in the pot with the potatoes
after they are cooked, and save the rest of the water
- sprinkle 2/3 cup flour over the potatoes and water, cover and steam
for 15 minutes
- then mash this mixture well, and add another 1/3 cup flour and mash
again until it "feels right" (Irene says that it should have a
somewhat gluey texture, and if it doesn't feel right you can add some
more flour and cooking water if needed and mash it again)
- once you have the mixture well mashed, you drop tablespoonfuls of
the potato/flour mixture into a casserole until the bottom of the
casserole is covered
- then sprinkle that layer with half of the bacon bits and drizzle
some of the bacon fat over it
- add another layer of the potato balls, sprinkle it with the
remaining bacon, and drizzle some more bacon fat onto it
- bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven until it is lightly browned
(about 30 minutes).

Remember that I told you that you would have to use your imagination
a bit and do some experimenting, particularly with the part about
"until it feels right".

If anyone has any questions about this recipe, Irene is quite
prepared to help answer the questions.  Just email your questions to
me, and I'll get the answers for you.  This recipe can easily be
doubled or tripled if you wish to do so.

What do you eat "foosher" with?  We like to have it with panfried
gritzwurst, or as an accompaniment to a hearty casserole of "pork
hocks and sauerkraut."

Irene and I would like to hear from any of you who try this recipe -
to hear about your successes and if you enjoyed it.

I will also answer another question right now, and that is "who is my
sister Irene?"  Irene now lives in Arizona, but she and her husband
visit Edmonton every summer.  For those of you who attended the SGGEE
convention in Edmonton in 2006, you might remember that at the
conclusion of my presentation on "Who the Heck is Cousin Fred?", I
presented Irene with a birthday present.  The present was the jar of
homemade dill pickles that was at least 50 years old.  My cousin
Alfred and I had found the jar in the dugout cellar of the farm house
where we grew up, and the jar was still perfectly preserved.  Irene
had helped Mom make those dill pickles.