[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Sclanadrusham

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 13 12:13:52 PDT 2009

Rita,

Knowing a lot about geography (or at least resources for geographical questions) is distinctly different from trying to interpret a place name from a spoken resource.  :-)

Using my limited resources for translation, I tried to find words for hill or river within the place name you mention, both in Polish and Ukrainian.  I don't see it.  Perhaps someone for whom that is the native language can see possibilities.

It is the Bug River that separates most of Poland from Ukraine.  Perhaps browsing all the place names along that river would result in a close match but for now, it seems too badly spelled to be successful.  Hopefully you can find another source of their place of origin like a passenger list, etc.

Jerry