[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Villages Neu-Chmerin and Solonovka

E. Adam ejadam at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 19:16:03 PDT 2009

Hello all: I am coming across a number of records in the EWZ for people who born in Neu-Chmerin, which I know was in Volhynia. My grandfather was born there in 1905. I am hoping someone out there has some historical information about Neu-Chmerin that would help me tell my family's story.

Neu-Chmerin surnames so far include: Winter, Bank, Belke, Weiss, Reske, Kwast, Sapatschew, Schweichler, Hennig, Karius, Wermann, Krueger, Etz, Rippin and Wechsel.

My ancesters left Volhynia for a place called Kromolin near Briansk and Zhizdra sometime after 1910. This was across the Russia border southwest of Moscow and a bit north of Orel.

Another German village nearby was Solonovka. Both were evacuated by the German army in early 1942. There are many records in the EWZ for Solonovka.

If anyone there also has a connection to Solonovka in the Zizdra region, please let me know. Again, I am looking for cultural history that would help me tell my family's story.

Surnames include: Zierat, Gatzke, Mayer, Preis, Rieping, Steinberg, Netzel,  Krueger, Kuehn, Lay, Dause (intermarried with my Adam family), Seider, Henkel, Schmidt, Janz and more.

Thank you.

Edie Adam
Virginia, USA