[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] When was German citizenship granted ?

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Fri Apr 24 10:59:23 PDT 2009

Günther wrote:

"Concerning the Soviet threat: of course Stalin and Molotov calculated
the positive international impact of German peasants who lived and
prospered under Soviet rule in spite of collectivation, Gulag and the
Moscow Trials. And as I understand it, the evacuation of Germans and
Poles from Volhynia was at that time neither intended nor enforced by
the Soviet authorities."

According to Schechtmann, "European Population Transfers,"  the Soviets and
Germans did set up bureaucracies in both the new "German" and "Soviet"
territories they had carved out for themselves.  It was a dual system, with
representatives of each side working in the territory of the other and in
conjunction with the other side.  The Soviets apparently expected that many
Ukrainian and White Russian immigrants would eagerly come across the border
into the Soviet Union, but that few Germans would go the other way and leave
the Soviet paradise.  They were wrong, of course.

Schechtmann said (1946) that he didn't  have much information about the
Soviet personnel, but that "During the period of German-Soviet
collaboration, German sources asserted vigorously tht Soviet bodies had done
everything in their power to facilitate the transfer, even to dispensing
with the usual border formalities and providing means of transportation."
The Soviets provided trains to take some 95,000 German evacuees to the
border.  25,000 others went by horse-drawn wagons.  Schechtmann says that
the Soviets would no doubt have taken them all by train, but that the Nazis
thought it would look better if some could be photographed coming over the
snow in wagons, hauling with them their meager belongings.  The New York
Times (June 22, 1941) said that the "Russian administrative bodies treated
the entire resetlement action with much political tact."

However, after Hitler attacked Russia in 1941, ending the Stalin-Ribbentrop
agreement, the stories of Soviet cooperativeness vanished and Hitler accused
Stalin of having "forced" thousands of Germans to leave their homes.  No
doubt the truth lies somewhere in between.  It's probably true that the
Soviets would have preferred their Germans to stay, and that they didn't
force them out.  But apparently they did cooperate with German officials in
carrying out the exchange.

Dick