[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Surname HRYNJKE ?

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Mon Apr 27 00:15:32 PDT 2009

gpvjem schrieb:

>     I received a request for research assistance for the name Boleslaw HRYNJKE.
> The given name of Boleslaw = Wilhelm, but the surname taken from a passport has me confused.  It appears to be  Slovac rather than Polish.  I am inclined to think that it should possibly have been HRYNSKE.
>     Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hello John,
www.herby.com.pl offers several possible Polish sources:

    146 x HRYNIAK
    6 x HRYNIECKI
    1 x HRYNIK
    363 x HRYNIUK
    16 x HRYNIUKA
    64 x HRYNKO
    20 x HRYNYK
    80 x HRYŃKO

I think the last one sounds most similarly since the Polish ń is
pronounced like nj. According to www.moikrewni.pl most of the actual
HRYŃKO events are in Western Silesia where the inhabitants are
descendants of immigrants from the late Eastern Poland.

Günther