[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Surname HRYNJKE ?

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Mon Apr 27 09:26:41 PDT 2009

Günther Böhm schrieb:
>     80 x HRYŃKO
>
> I think the last one sounds most similarly since the Polish ń is
> pronounced like nj. According to www.moikrewni.pl most of the actual
> HRYŃKO events are in Western Silesia where the inhabitants are
> descendants of immigrants from the late Eastern Poland.

Hello John,
the name HRYŃKO is indeed originally Ukrainian. The spelling is ГРИНЬКО
where the Г is in Ukrainian pronounced like the German H. The Russian
and Ukrainian combination НЬ is equivalent to the Polish Ń why the name
may be transcribed to the German or English HRIN'KO resp. HRINJKO. The
Ukrainian politician Hryhoriy Fedorovych HRYN'KO (Григорій Федорович
ГРИНЬКО, Grigoriy Fyodorovich GRIN'KO) was a Soviet finance minister and
victim of the Moscow Trials in 1938.

Günther