[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Preuss family

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Tue Aug 11 02:16:48 PDT 2009

Patricia Herron schrieb:
> In an old diary written by my great uncle (Adolph Preuss) he made the following comments regarding places and relatives in Poland.  I am listing some of them, and would love to hear from anyone who recognizes any of the names or places that he mentions.  These comments were during a trip back  to Poland in 1890.  I am trying to find the family of my grandfather, his brother, Carl Herman Preuss (10 March 1858, Elbing).
Hello Patricia,
Elbing, Westpreußen (after 1918 Ostpreußen) [Elbląg, Poland], Google
Maps coordinates 54.157137,19.404087, detailed map (1937)
http://amzpbig.com/maps/1882_Elbing_1937.jpg .
>   On Adolph's vaccination certificate his parents were listed as Gottfried Preuss and Caroline Grapentin.
>
> Cousin Ernest Janzen and I went back to Kerbshorst.
Kerbshorst, Gemeinde Thiensdorf-Preußisch Rosengart, Kreis Elbing-Land,
Westpreußen (after 1918 Ostpreußen) [Gajewiec, Poland] cordinates
54.108357,19.368382, detailed map (1937)
http://amzpbig.com/maps/1882_Elbing_1937.jpg .

> This morning I went to Woppen from there with Franz to Braunswalde to church.  It is a Catholic Church, we have our own bench in there.  (I assume that his "we" means the family and that they may live near there).
>
> This evening I had to go to the train station at Buchwalde (Mydlita) to pick up my Uncle Janzen from Kerbshorst.
>
> Today my brother Rudolf (Preuss) and I went to Spiegelberg to the auction.
>
> In the afternoon I west to pick up my cousin Richard Janzen from the train station.
>
> This morning I took my cousin Otto Gringel to the train stationin Buchwalde.
>
> In the afternoon I took my sister Hulda to the train station at Tonkendorf.    -> *Jonkendorf*
>
> Went to wedding of Ida Grapentin.
>
> I drove my brother Fritz to the train station at Buchwalde.
>
> I drove brother in law Komm to the train station in Tonkendorf.
>
> Sept 1 1891  I went to Speigelburg to get my inheritance.  (I assume one of his parents had died but he made no mention of it in the diary, Immediately following he returned to the US.)

Braunswalde [Brąswałd], Buchwalde [Bukwałd], Spiegelberg [Spręcowo] and
Jonkendorf [Jonkowo] belonged all to the Kreis Allenstein [Olsztyn],
Provinz Ostpreußen. You should find them all on the detailed map TK25
2188 Göttkendorf (up to now no online version). Are you sure that your
Buchwalde is the Polish Mydlita (this one belonged to the far-off Kreis
Bütow, Provinz Pommern)?

Günther