[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Grieben

Eduardo Kommers eduardo.kommers at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 12:20:06 PDT 2009

Dear Friends!

I'm looking for records relating to a place called Grieben. I found already
5 places with this name but, as a first step, I'm specially interested on
those located in Germany:

1.Grieben (town), Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany.
2.Grieben (town), Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany.

I'm looking for my grand-grandfather August Kommers birth place (b. 1886),
and there are chances to be in one of these Grieben. The family left
Volhynia in the late 1870's, early 1880's. From this period to 1897 (year of
the arrival certificate in Brazil) there are no references for the family.
They disappeared for 15-20 years and my guess is that they tried to live in
Germany again, before coming to Brazil. Additionally, the origin place of
the family is "Griebenhof", but I'm looking only for Grieben, because
Griebenhof was already thoroughly searched, without any success.

The problem is that in last 2 or 3 years I sent tens of e-mails to churches
and archives in Germany but it is very difficult to get something back...
maybe, for language reasons... I just know a few words in german.

If you have a clue where I can have information, please, let me know.

Thanks,
Eduardo