[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Worth trying - locating cemeteries and obits in Saskatchewan

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Fri Dec 4 16:59:46 PST 2009

Dear all,

Out of curiousity, I typed in the name of a small town in Saskatchewan - Nokomis.  (I was watching the 100th Anniversary of the Montreal Canadiens tonight and they paid a tribut to Elmer Lach a hockey player from the 40,s who was from Nokomis SK and I had never heard of the place). I don't know anyone in this town. http://nokomisweb.com  and click on the History link.

The town has listed all the names in the local cemeteries and a number of obits for a long period of time - it's a small town and they had 297 obits.  One was dated 1974. Some of the obits had a lot of information about the individuals. Plus they have also listed all the original land grants and census info, old photos,etc.  They've also added a Genealogy Queries section, that includes a blog - so there is more info.  Assuming you have ancestors in this area.

So, take a chance and type in the town/village you are searching and see what information is available. It likely won't work in a large town, but maybe.... You might strike it lucky.

I had fun exploring anyway.

Helen