[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] naming patterns

Bronwyn Klimach bronklimach at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 02:04:07 PST 2009

Rose-Marie,
Naming patterns can give pointers, but are far from any kind of proof
in genealogy.
There are some well known articles on the topic:
http://www.kerchner.com/germname.htm
http://www.genealogy.com/35_donna.html

I know one 1800s generation of my German ancestors (near Prenzlau)
names every son Johann xxxx while the daughters are Johanna yyyy.
It's pretty obvious they are going to be called by another of their
Christian names (Rufname).
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pastgc/newsletters/march98.pdf
It is also not uncommon to have 3 or 4 Christian names.  One of my
ancestors appears on various documents under any one of her four given
names, with the surname's spelling varying wildly (e.g. Johns, Toms,
Thoms).

Naming patterns might give you some clues and it is good to know about
them, but you will need to keep any eye on everyone in the correct
location whose surname resembles the one in which you are interested.
Bronwyn.