[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] naming patterns

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Sat Dec 19 08:45:36 PST 2009

Rose-Marie - The experiences of Bronwyn and the sites she has given you are
 excellent - and there are many, many publications on the etymology and
meaning  of names, Germanic and otherwise.  Like everything else, some are more
 accurate and detailed  than others.   We just cannot accept names  as they
are today and declare there's only one correct spelling/meaning/family  for
each of them.   The concept of "correct spellings" is a  modern one.  They
are collectible, rather than correctable.    They vary, sometimes
drastically, from time to time over many centuries and  place to place and culture to
culture - most emphatically when they  emigrate to a place where their
native language is not understood, and is in  fact the subject of derision.
There always have been people who have  changed their birth names altogether,
legally or not.   Maybe they  hated the names dished out to them - maybe
their spouses changed them  to  be more
"socially acceptable" - maybe some lied about their birth names to the
authorities, so a death certificate indicates a different name from a birth
certificate.    Maybe the military arbitrarily invents a junior  where none
exists.   All four of those applied in my family of four  siblings.    In the
case of Germanic names, among others, a given  name or surname is often the
subject, all by itself, of extreme (and stupid)  intolerance.   That applies
to me, too, on top of all the sneezing  attempts to pronounce it.   My life
would have been different, I  think, had I been allowed to choose my own
name - interesting question,  hmmmm?

One good thing about genealogy, and these message boards, is that
discussions between people of all levels of expertise are encouraged, wherever  they
may be, and by that one gains knowledge and insight, and one hopes,
enlightenment.

It does get complicated, so it's quite all right to ask, and keep asking,
as you go along.   We're all in this boat together (perhaps many oars  are
better than one?).

As Bronwyn knows, names are a favorite subject of mine, and utterly
fascinating.   So keep hunting!

T. Maureen Schoenky

In a message dated 12/19/2009 2:11:26 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,