[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Susanna Janke

Otto otto at schienke.com
Tue Dec 22 08:48:02 PST 2009

"Janke" is an echte (genuine) Frisian surname.  (little John or son of
John)
Pronounced "Yahn-keh"
The "ke" suffix is Plattdeutsch (a diminutive),(flat-land German or
Low German)
The J"a"n-ke vowel generates a variation of spellings.
It can be spelled "Janke, Jenke, Jahnke, Jehnke" and so on.
A Susanna Janke was the mother of my uncle, Albert Roll, who was
married to my Dad's older sister Anna Schienke.

The migration was up the Vistula/Weichsel/Wisla river south, usually
from the Gdansk/Danzig area or Pommern/Pomerania.
The migration was stimulated by the opening of new Prussian territories.

I would look to the Posen and Dobriner-land areas of Evangelische
Augsburgische (Lutheran) settlements.

On Dec 22, 2009, at 12:39 PM, kander25 at cableone.net wrote:

> Frank --
>
> The -ke name ending is rather characteristic of what is now northern
> Poland, including Pomerania, which is along the Baltic. This doesn't
> help much for Jubin, but you could try alternate spellings of Janke
> such as Jahnke and see if you can find something about Anna
> Christina. There are 2 places named Ludwinow(o) very close to the
> former German city of Posen, now Poznan in Poland, according to
> kartenmeister.com. Is it possible they came from that region?
>
> Karen
>

> On Tue Dec 22 14:24 , "joepessarra" sent:
>

> Frank,
>
> ShtetlSeeker at http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp
> finds in
> Eastern Europe 18 Ludwinow locations in Poland, and 1 location in
> Lithuania.
> Do you know for sure which Ludinow you are referencing?
>
> Joe in Texas

. . .   Otto
          " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 04, 2009-