[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "elder"

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 2 12:28:01 PST 2009

Carol,

Actually, in 19th century Europe (and still in some regions today), Evangelisch = Lutheran.  The term "elder" is used in the Lutheran Church I attend for a particular category of church leader so it is not exclusive to one denomination or another.  But even that probably has different context than a 19th century German language church, whether in a formal building or home based.  It may even have different context than Ingrid's use of the term.

Jerry