[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Evangelisch=reformed

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 2 16:58:35 PST 2009

Carol,

I would be interested in seeing a copy of the cover or title page for
your "Lutheran" church book records.

If you use the LDS search system to find microfilms of 19th century
Lutheran records in Germany, you won't find them listed under
"Lutheran".  They are under Evangelisch.  Example:

Evangelische Kirche Nagold (OA. Nagold) [copied and pasted from the
search result]

They will yield Lutheran, not Reformed records because there has never
been a Reformed Church in Nagold.

Similarly, if you wish to search for church books in Warsaw Archives,
your options include:
ewangelickie
ewangelicko-augsburskie
ewangelicko-reformowane

The first two are Lutheran, the last one is Reformed.  There is no word
listed equivalent to "Lutheran".  Except for the far western side of
Volhynia near the Bug River, there was no Reformed Church presence
within Volhynia.

I have no doubt that the church conflict existed in your referenced
parish but I doubt the the Lutheran side referred to themselves as
Lutheran in that time frame.

Jerry Frank
Calgary, AB