[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Free English language book on German villages in Mazovia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 15 16:20:44 PST 2009

I have been debating myself for some time now whether to include that
link from our website or not. The entire book is a very long download.
If you want to browse through the village descriptions yourself, start at:

http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=1&lang=en

Opposite the search box on the right side you will see an arrow. Click
that to work your way through the villages. You can also use the search
box to find a specific village but it will require an exact spelling
match and you will struggle with switching between Polish and English
language pages.

The reason I have been reluctant to include the link even though some of
the villages details are excellent, is that the entire website and book
are based on the blatantly false premise that these are Dutch (Holland)
villages. Almost every village is described as being founded by Dutch
Colonists though a handful do make reference to Evangelical (Lutheran)
Germans. In fact, the opposite is true. 99% of the villages shown were
founded or settled by Germans. Only a small handful had Dutch
(Mennonite) settlers. Lest someone assume that this is a Dutch vs.
Deutsch confusion, the Polish language uses two distinctly different
words to describe them so confusion is unlikely - Holenderski vs.
Niemieckie. Further more, the website name clearly references Holland.

In the introduction, this statement is made:
"The Dutch were the first colonists. In the 18th century, they were
followed by German farmers from Lower Germany as well as Polish
peasants. The Dutch settlers were nicknamed Olęder, which was the
Polonized version of the noun "Dutchman" ("Holender" in Polish). Olęder
signified not only the nationality of the settlers, but also the system
of farming that originated in Holland. The system, which granted
considerable freedom to the colonists, was based on the perpetual lease
of land, with only cash rent payable to the landowner."

The author has the right idea but seems to forget that the term which
describes the land ownership / village government style instituted by
the Dutch Mennonites in Prussian regions can also apply to any other
ethnic group, German, Polish or other, that operate under similar rules.
The fact that there were numerous Hollendry or Hollendry style villages
along Wisla River does not mean that all those villages originated as
the result of Dutch settlement.

I have tried to correspond with the authors and supporters of this site.
All addresses, including that of the webmaster, result in bounces. It's
a shame that such quality presentation is tainted by such very poor and
far reaching research.

Bottom line - some good content in this material regarding the villages
but treat most references to Dutch as being German.

Jerry Frank
Calgary, AB