[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Free English language book on German villages in Mazovia

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Mon Feb 16 09:17:01 PST 2009

Jerry Frank schrieb:
> It is true that the author, in some sections, acknowledges that Germans
> and Poles often lived in the Olendry.  There are clues within the book
> that the author believes not only that every Olendry was originally
> settled by Dutch from Holland but that most of them retained small
> pockets of Dutch Mennonite residents up until 1945 (reference chapter on
> 18th and 20th Century Settlements).
Hello Jerry, Bronwyn and Worth,
I would like to contribute one more detail:
In Germany the word "Holländerei" is regionally still in use. It does
not mean a special type of rural social organization but a traditional
method to dewater and fertilize wet and swampy areas. An early
occurrence of this method was in the "Weichselniederung" east of Danzig
as part of "Preußen Königlichen Anteils" under Polish rule. A borough of
Torgelow in northeastern Germany is called "Holländerei" or simply
"Holl". An originally swampy part of Liebenwalde north of Berlin is
called "Neuholland". The ameliorated areas were usually used as pasture
for cattle. This cattle leads to another regional meaning of the word
"Holländerei". In northern Germany a "Holländerei" is a dairy farm where
the milk is processed into butter and cheese ( see
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holl%C3%A4nderei ). Both methods originated
from the Netherlands but their designation was definitely German.

Why "Holländerei" and "Neuholland" instead of any other name of a North
German province with flooded and regained land? The "Große Kurfürst"
Friedrich Wilhelm I. of Brandenburg was educated in the Netherlands
(like Tzar Peter the Great he learned the shipbuilder's trade) and
married to Luise Henriette von NASSAU-ORANIEN, the eldest daughter of
Prince Frederik Hendrik van ORANJE, the stadtholder of Holland, Zeeland,
Utrecht, Guelders, and Overijssel. The "Große Kurfürst" was the first to
bring Dutch colonists to his provinces devastated by the Thirty Years
War and his grandson, the "Soldatenkönig" Friedrich Wilhelm I. the first
to emeliorate his halfway sandy and halfway swampy home province of
Brandenburg (especially the swampy "Rhin-Luch") with Dutch plans and
under Dutch foremen.

Günther