[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Free English language book on German villages; Olendry, Hollanderei

Nancy Gertner nancygertner at mac.com
Mon Feb 16 17:37:17 PST 2009

Thanks for this interesting exchange.

I visited Poland in 2005, and was very pleased to find a windmill in
the area southeast of Danzig where my Gaertner ancestors lived 200
years ago.  We were told the windmills were used as part of the
system for draining the land.  The system now is pumping stations
with pumps that are powered by sources like electricity.

My Gaertner ancestors, German Lutherans, left West Prussia for South
Russia c 1836.

One of the brides was descended from a Deutschmann father that had
married a Neufeld that was Mennonite, so I'm interested in both the
German Lutherans and the Dutch Mennonites that settled in West
Prussia and also in Russia.

My father's maternal ancestors were from Posen Province before
emigrating to America in 1866.  Ancestors that I've researched in
Posen (primarily Schokken Evangelical Parish records) include Grams,
Jahnke, Jesse, Mallas, Sonnenburg, Ziemer.  These names are commonly
found in Volhynia also.

Nancy