[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Canada vs. Brazil

Jack Milner wjmilner at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 2 08:20:16 PST 2009

One Company that recruited my great grandfather, Gottlieb Altwasser from
Volhynia  to Canada in 1905  was the North Atlantic Trading Company.
Passengers who qualified the company for this bonus were indicated by a
stamp on the ships passenger list   "N.A.T.C. Bonus Allowed".
Following is a brief history of this controversial company.  Also visit:

http://members.shaw.ca/d_y_g/ssdominion.htm

Canada and the NATC Bonus

Sir Wilfrid Laurier's Liberal government elected in 1896, immediately
launched an aggressive campaign to encourage the settlement of Western
Canada. Clifford Sifton, the Minister of the Interior in Laurier's
government, offered land to people who chose to make the Prairies their
home. To attract the farm labor needed to push back the Western
frontier, he staged high-profile recruitment campaigns that employed
methods that were not always new, but pursued more vigorously than had
been done previously in advertising the West's attractions. A torrent of
pamphlets in several languages flooded Great Britain, Europe, and the
United States. Canadian exhibits were mounted at fairs, exhibitions, and
public displays, while editorial articles, commissioned by his
department, were inserted in foreign newspapers. Foreign journalists
were wined and dined on guided tours across the West, and prosperous
homesteaders were encouraged to revisit their homelands and those
friends and relatives they had left behind, since it was Sifton's belief
that the most effective advertising was done by individual contact.

One such campaign involved arrangements with an Amsterdam-based
organization of booking agents and steamship company officials. In 1899,
Clifford Sifton sanctioned a controversial contract with the NATC
whereby the Company acquired a monopoly on all Canadian immigration
promotional work throughout continental Europe and Scandinavia. Under
the terms of the contract, the Company agreed to direct farmers to
Canada, earning a bonus from the Immigration Department for each
settler. The organization's operations were kept secret, allegedly
because most European countries at the time had restrictive emigration
laws and the agents involved were risking prosecution. When details of
the government's secret agreement with the North Atlantic Trading
Company were revealed in Parliament in July 1905, the opposition
Conservatives bitterly condemned the scheme. Was there indeed such an
entity as the NATC? If so, who were its officers? How much capital did
it have? And from where did it do its business? There were few
satisfactory answers to these and a myriad of other questions.
Detractors believed the NATC to be a fraud, "raking-off" government
funds for services not rendered and a rancorous debate ensued in the
House of Commons. The North Atlantic Trading Company contract was
cancelled, effective April 14, 1906. The issue had become too hot
politically and continued probes into the NATC would have further
embarrassed the government.

Frank Oliver, who succeeded Sifton as Minister of the Interior in 1905,
continued Sifton's policy of paying booking agents to recruit suitable
immigrants. In fact, not only was the policy retained, it was extended.
Less than four months after the NATC contract was cancelled, the
Department of the Interior had new immigration offices opened in Exeter,
York, and Aberdeen and began to pay selected European booking agents a
bonus for farmers, gardeners, carters, railway surfacemen, navvies
(manual labourers building the rail lines without the benefit of
machinery), and miners.

The following year, 1907, the Immigration Branch adopted an even more
aggressive approach to immigrant recruitment, appointing 100 government
agents and paying each one a two-dollar bonus for every British
agricultural labourer recruited and placed in Ontario or Quebec. Two and
a half million immigrants came to Canada between 1904 and 1913.