[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Location of Belgatow and Janowka

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 4 07:32:03 PST 2009

Randy,

Dick's idea is certainly correct given that he found the parents located there.

As for Janowka, you would not expect it to be close to Belchatow as
indicated in another message by Joe but rather in the Rozyszcze where
you found the record.  Unfortunately there are at least 2
possibilities in that parish.  There is one about 4 km SE of Torczyn
just out of range of the referenced map and one about 7 km N of
Rozyszcze.  The latter is the one for which you gave the
coordinates.  IMPORTANT:  The easting you gave for this coordinate is
based on Ferro.  If you are comparing to other maps, you may need to
convert to Greenwich by subtracting approximately 17 degrees.

To figure out which is the correct one, you have to look at the
original church books.  Records were collected by the pastor as he
travelled through the villages.  Find the villages both before and
after your record.  They may not be in precise order but they will
give you enough of a close grouping to determine if it is near
Rozyszcze or near Torczyn.

SGGEE members can do this with the database using our special search
tool at http://www.sggee.org/members/StPeteByRoute

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca