[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polonized German Names

Reiner Kerp mail at reiner-kerp.de
Tue Jan 6 14:35:34 PST 2009

Dear Gary,

thank you very much for trying to help me. Please pass my thanks also
to your Polish friend.

> I do not speak German, so I will leave the translations of the
> following into German to you. ...

A minor problem ;-)

Having had the opportunity to download two old polish dictionaries
from:

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Linde

              "Slownik Jezyka Polskiego"
            Author: Samuel Bogumil Linde
                           of 1807

and

http://ebuw.uw.edu.pl/dlibra

                "Slownik Jezyka Polskiego"
    Author: Jan Karlowicza und Adam Krynskiego
                              of 1898,

I took the chance to think over some yet unsolved problems, that
led me to ask others for their opinion.
My thougts were not ment as to announce new law.

> My Polish friend thinks that:...

> if Kopra is a Polish word, and not a Latin one, then it is a
> conjugation of koper, which means the dill spice.

The word I found was "kopr" - explained as copper.

> The Polish word for copper has the root miedz with a slash over
> the z

This is the same my modern dictionary tells me.

> Groch is the peapod

pea is "Erbse" in German.
A former colleague´s name was ERBER. A Heinrich ERBE together with 7
other individuals emigrated around 1802 from Isenburg to Neu-Sulzfeld,
Nowosolna, Laznów, Warschau

As Annegret Krause wrote:
> in my family I have ZIELINSKI being a polonisation of GRUENING.
> "Zielony" is the Polish word for the colour "green".

> Mala means small.   She thought that the word malach might have
> a different meaning, but could not come up with it.

I thought of "malachit-owy" - malachite-green. Malachite, - a green
mineral/stone used for decoration or carving gems.

Best wishes,

Reiner (Kerp)

mailto:mail at reiner-kerp.de

web: http://reiner-kerp.de