[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Wegierka Location

Jan Textor textor_jan at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 01:51:55 PST 2009

Frank Stewner wrote:

> I cannot find the location Wegierka on any modern map. It is laying in Gabin and Zyck Polskie Parish.
> Near to it are Sady and Piotrkowek. Where does it lay or what is the name today?
>
> Frank Stewner

Frank,

In the vicinity of Gabin and Zyck there is no such village today.  However, I found two villages called Wegierki and Kol. Nowosiodly Wegierki on a Polish map from 1839.  You can study the relevant section of this map here:
http://textor.dk/maps/Wegierki.jpg

Kol. Nowosiodly means something like newly established colony.  My guess is that these two villages no longer exist because they were situated too close to the river Wisla, and therefore probably were flooded too often.

Hope this helps.

Jan Textor
http://textor.dk/homepage/