[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Plums = Lekvár!

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sun Jan 18 22:39:07 PST 2009

Thank you Anna,
This is getting better!
Copper kettles!

My neighbor who distilled the polinka also cooked "LEKVAR", a real
thick prune butter (like a paste) for baking pastries. (I cannot
remember the Hungarian name for the pastries, eating 50 or so would
satisfy)
(I bought his large copper kettle also)

Lekvár cooking is a Hungarian ritual just like drinking polinka.
(the two probably go well together)

See the Wikipedia article on Lekvár:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lekvar

Now how did the custom get to the Wisla/Vistula/Weichsel valley?
Why a regional custom only?
Was it part of a past culture of someone?
How did it begin?
An Austrian/Hungarian settler?
Why is the cartographer calling attention to it?

The words of the American poet, Robert Frost,
“We dance around the ring and suppose, but the secret sits in the
middle and knows”