[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Lipno Confirmation Records 1867-1906

Linda Marks Pauling lmpauling at utech.net
Sat Jun 6 16:22:42 PDT 2009

I have film #2,150,611 Lipno Confirmation Records 1867-1906 at our local FHL and am willing to do look-ups if you can give me a name and approximate year. I have found that these are wonderful because they help to bridge the gap after the bmd films end with 1865.

The earlier records on this film give the confirmand's name, the home village, the father's name and date and place of confirmation.  (and the grades!) Later, they add the mother's name, then the mother's maiden name, and in the very latest the village of birth. Otherwise it is the village where the family is living at the time. At times, information is missing. Sometimes the name in the "family" column is different from that of the confirmand and I imagine the father has died and this is a step-father or uncle.

It appears that sometimes the confirmation takes place only in Lipno; sometimes it is a different date for the various Kantorates, and in some cases it seems that the confirmation is in Lipno, but the Kantorate and the Kantor are mentioned as "presenting his class." I like too in the later records when they noted the liturgical Sunday and the text the Pastor used. I enjoyed looking those up and seeing what great texts he preached on.

These records are in table format rather than the narrative as in the bmd records for this parish. The young people were confirmed at age 15 or 16 altho a few are a bit older. I think they had to be 15 by the date of confirmation so if their birthday was later in the year, they are in the next class.

Our local FHL is only open 2 days a week for a few hours, so depending on how many requests I get, it may take a while. The copier there is broken, but they have allowed us to take digtal photographs. There are many many familiar names on this film... Makes me think that if I walked into this church in 1880's, I would know half the people! Perhaps it will have your missing relative!

If you have a lot of family members in this church at this time, you may want to order the film yourself. The mother's maiden names especially are difficult to read because they are written so tiny and squeezed into the space. And of course, as always, we need to be flexible about spelling.

Linda Pauling