[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] On DNA testing - THE NEAR FUTURE

Otto otto at schienke.com
Fri Jun 12 22:05:21 PDT 2009

I will keep this as simple as possible yet meaningful.

I did not know where to look. . .
I was faced with my surname and its "ie" diphthong.
I was faced with an alias surname also used in the past, "Stodulski."
The parents spoke Low German/High German, some Polish and Russian and
of course English.

Who were my forefathers?
Where did they appear from in the 1500's?
Who am I?
After years of research I came to know many of my cousins.
All knew less than I did.

To begin, there are basically two types of genetic testing for
genealogy.
1. STR's = short tandem repeats.
Defines haplotypes. Used in forensics to identify father, brother,
uncle, cousin and so on.

2. SNP = single nucleotide polymorhism.
Defines haplogroups.  Haplogroups pertain to deep ancestral origins
dating back thousands of years

Determine what type of information you are looking for before you test
your DNA.

Look up the following 4 terms in Wikipedia.
==============
Haplotype
Haplogroup
SNP array
Genealogical DNA test
==============

Genetic testing. . . I knew less about it than some of you do so I
began researching it and discovered it is a foundling industry with
huge potential. I began talking it up and discovered I was not alone
in my ignorance of the subject. I next approached a professor of
molecular anthropology at Penn State recommended by my son. (the lab
"chip" used in SNP information gathering is most important)

He recommended a broad-spectrum SNP test used by him and performed by https://www.23andme.com/
(a simple "spit into a test tube" and mail it in)
(it includes information from all chromosomes and the mitochondrial
DNA information (50,000 snps)-it will take weeks to assimilate the
information)

Here also is a research site recommended to me by my son Erich  http://dna-forums.org/index.php?act=idx

I, of course, immediately focused on the genealogy information portion
of the test.

My personal haplogroup numbers for those wanting to compare:
(each character after R is a subgroup or subclade of the R haplogroup-
the * indicates a subgroup to yet be identified)
Paternal Haplogroup:R1b1b2a1a1* (from the fringes of the North Sea-
Frisian)
(originally R1b1c9-changed to a more universal set of numbers yesterday)
R1b1b2a1a1* is a subgroup of R1b1b2.

Yes, I can compare for relationship.

It pointed to the fringes of the North Sea-The Frisians.
I googled "Schienke Frisia"(Niedersachsen) and found many "Schienke"
still there, dead and alive.
I found an out of copyright book (pub. 1802) in Google Books on
genuine Frisian given and surnames.
"Schienke" was one of them. Next I began comparing relatives
surnames... Wow! It was falling together for me.
http://books.google.com/books?id=eyISAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA125&lpg=RA1-PA125&dq=schienke+frisian&source=bl&ots=d6n9SqID1q&sig=qvZRBG7TL_de5jKqiRR6YVo8qWk&hl=en&ei=1k_RSe39PNzslQfp96HqCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result#PRA1-PA125,M1

My mother's line of descent is difficult to obtain on paper to date...
I've progressed no further in the paper trail than g. grandfather
Langas and g. grandmother Karoline Hintz.

Below is my maternal haplogroup.

Maternal Haplogroup:H1*
(largest concentration 500 years ago in Norway, undoubtedly Frisian
years distant)
(both haplogroups were from Doggerland 10,000 years ago-Wikipedia-
Doggerland)
H1* is a subgroup of H1.

"Birds of a feather seem to flock together"
Now the rest is up to me.

. . .   Otto
          " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 04, 2009-