[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Milwaukee archives etc.

Sandie marana at tds.net
Fri Jun 19 14:57:21 PDT 2009

I live near Madison, Wisconsin.
The website for the state library and archives is as follows:
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/libraryarchives/
It might be wise to contact them regarding what is available in
Milwaukee. You can click on the right side for area research centers.
Then click on Milwaukee. I know of the Golda Meir library there.
You can contact them at:
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/feedback.asp?id=339
On the main historical website, the first one above, you can access the
vital records that are available for the entire state of Wisconsin up
through October of 1907. These include the births, marriages and deaths
that were recorded for each county. Also, any biographical articles
about a person.
Also on that website you can search the holdings of the state library
and archives.

Relevance:    Author:     University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee. Area
Research Center.
Title:     Checklist of archives and manuscripts holdings in the
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Area Research Center.

     Publisher:     [Madison : State Historical Society of Wisconsin],
1967.
Notes:     "Holdings include records and papers of individuals,
businesses, churches, and institutions in the southeastern Wisconsin
region."
   Caption title.
   Includes index.
   At head of title: State Historical Society of Wisconsin.
OCLC:     (OCoLC)10860237
Subjects:     Milwaukee Area Research Center --Catalogs.
   Manuscripts --Wisconsin --Milwaukee --Catalogs.
   Wisconsin --History --Sources --Bibliography --Catalogs.
Other:     State Historical Society of Wisconsin.
http://madcat.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=2698680
  Location:     Historical Society Library Pamphlet Collection
   Where is this Location?
Catalog:     UW Madison
Call Number:     92- 4510

Newspaper articles that are on-line.
I cannot read the following website because it is in German but refers
to a Lutheran church:
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=1&id=9993&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=1&id=9995&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=1&id=9983&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=1&id=9985&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=1&id=9978&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

This one is about Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church in Milwaukee being
70 years old in 1917. Founded in 1847, Missouri synod. In English.
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=1&id=9952&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

On German, pertains to Lutheran churches: St. Johannes
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=1&id=9988&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

Kirchweihfest in Ebenezer
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=2&id=9980&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

St. Paul's
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=3&id=9999&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=2&id=9973&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=2&id=9931&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=2&id=10019&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=2&id=10019&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/articleView.asp?pg=2&id=10019&key=Church&cy=Milwaukee

These are just some of the newspapers. As I kept going through them the
dates were going upward. I hope someone can read the German newspaper
articles and I have been of some assistance.

Milwaukee County information:
http://www.linkstothepast.com/milwaukee/index.php

A Johannes Remeeus is in the city directory for Milwaukee for 1858.
Kurtz in 1858 are Simon spelled Kurts; Kurtz are Christian F.,
Ferdinand, Gabriel, George and Christin who has added an E to the end. A
George Kurz.
Hoffman's are Carl, Charles, Charles, E.A., Edward, Frederic, Frederick,
Frederick, F., Francis, H.C., Jacob, Martin, P.H., August, Charles,
Christian, Edward,  Frederick, H.C., Henry,  Jacob, Nicholas, John,
Lorenz, Louis, Peter, Robert, William, some spelled with two nn's at the
end.
Lehman(n) Elizabeth, Charles, Frederick
Froelich, Heinrich, Henry and Joseph
Sandie in Wisconsin

Nancy Gertner wrote:
My grandmother that immigrated from Germany lived in Milwaukee with  her
parents from about 1891 - 1900.

I visited Milwaukee in 2000 to do a 'Family History Visit' with my
husband.  We did a visit to the Milwaukee Historical Society, which  is
a museum in an old bank building.

They have some archive data, and in their file box, I was able to  find
data on grandma's older brothers.

I believe it related to when they applied for naturalization, and may
have included data on their address in Milwaukee.

My ancestral family came from Prussia, and they attended St. Mattheus
Lutheran Church in Milwaukee.  Grandma's Confirmation Certificate was
in German.   This church is no longer, so on Sunday we attended  Trinity
Lutheran Church, which is an old congregation.

Nancy in Minnesota

Aloha!