[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Need help cleaning backs of old photo's

Greg Mason gmason001 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 26 14:24:48 PDT 2009

Janine:  I have had success with  using naptha.  This sounds dangerous
and it could be, but use it sparingly, apply it to the baking paper
only with a q-tip or such and ALWAYS try a very small test spot in a
corner to insure that it won't affect the photo paper.  I have never
had a ruined photo from using this material.  Generally, the naptha
will loosen the glue enough for you to be able to carefully remove it
from the back of the photo.  Be careful not to soak the photo paper,
only the album backing paper.   You probably will have to go to a
pharmacy or chemical shop to obtain high grade naptha.  Best wishes.
Greg Mason