[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Happy May Day everyone! Do you remember& celebrate ...

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Fri May 1 11:59:44 PDT 2009

I remember May Day at public school in Kirkwood, MO (Pitman) making little
craft paper baskets each year and decorating them, I think they held paper
flowers too - but only took mine home to mom - and no memory of whether she
 liked it.  Was never allowed out of the yard, except to go to school, so
don't have any knowledge of going to anyone else's house with one.    May
Day at high school, senior year, all girls would dress in a formal and  parade
around in an outdoor ceremony (there was a large tree in the center  of a
natural bowl in front of the school - the tree since killed and the bowl
filled in - with crepe paper wound around the tree) except I didn't have a
formal, so I just took pictures.    There was a May Queen crowned  that day as
well, with her King and her Court, and those girls all had huge  bouquets.
.

I do still have the craft paper multi-colored interlocked rings which all
the kids made and the birthday child got to keep (if you had a birthday
during  the school year) and wear home, lei style.  It has pretty much
disintegrated now, but I still remember how lovely that was!   I think  that was in
kindergarten.  I'd like to know where that tradition came  from.

I like your version better!

Maureen

In a message dated 5/1/2009 7:33:03 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,