[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Seeking assistance for first Polish record search - Helwig from Wolschebuden, Lipno vicinity

daryl sofasurferlinux at charter.net
Sat May 2 19:49:42 PDT 2009

I have quite a bit of information on my grandfather (Adolph Helwig) and
his siblings who came to U.S. one-by-one around the turn of the century.
Info includes ship lists and censuses.

Now I need to aquire info from their homeland Russia-Poland. Residences
include Lipno, Nieszawa, Bobrowniki, Wolschebuden, Rybit, Plock.

The oldest sibling, Augusta, was born in 1875. I have no verified
birthplace. Her father, Edward Helwig is said to have been born under
the rule of Czar Nicholas on the border of Russia in a town I deciphered
as Wolschebuden (Makowiska). Edward was said to be still alive in Rybit,
Plock in 1909. His wife was Minnie Klinger.

Since "Wolschebuden" is an assumption based on crummy family records I
wonder if you can tell
me if Wolschebuden was actually on the Russian border at the time of
Czar Nicholus rule?

My grandfather, Adolph was born in Lipno, Aug 2, 19887.

I'll be going to the Family History Center soon to try to look up some
records. I assume that the best bet would be something in Lipno. And
birth and marrage records from Wolschebuden and death records from Rybit.

I am a beginner and so far have never read a record from a foreign land.
Can anyone recommend specific records to look for?
Also, I looked at a couple of pages of records on microfilm, from Lipno
and was mortified at the prospect of trying to understand any of it. Can
you recommend any sites that would be helpful in deciphering the records?

Does anyone have information on the above mentioned people?

Thank you very much for whatever help you can offer.

Daryl Helwig